[TriLUG] Latecomer to the RoadRunner party

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 21:54:36 EST 2004

 > Mark Wilson wrote:
> I don't have an Ethernet card; what do you recommend

    Any Ethernet card should work, I can bring a 3Com (3C905B 10/100) for you
to the December meeting, can you make it there?
I would recommend using Ethernet over USB, you may end up with a large home
network soon and there is a lot of just fine "old" ethernet hardware out there.

> Anybody out there have experience with RR's 'cooperation' with the Linux
> community

My understanding (2nd hand) is that they don't know you when you say Linux.
   I am using Earthlink, it is about $2.00/month cheaper. You will need some
kind of firewall, there are some free ones out there that run on your PC, I
connect to the Cable Modem through a Siemens Router which has built in
firewall to keep out the nasties and 4 each 10/100 ethernet ports.

john mitchell