[TriLUG] Latecomer to the RoadRunner party

Mark Wilson glenlivet at trilug.org
Tue Nov 30 22:13:35 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, john mitchell wrote:

>  > Mark Wilson wrote:
> > I don't have an Ethernet card; what do you recommend
>
>     Any Ethernet card should work, I can bring a 3Com (3C905B 10/100) for you
> to the December meeting, can you make it there?

I'm not 100% sure yet; I may not be able to get off work early enough to
make it to the mtg. on time (and I'd hate to miss the pizza ;-) )

> I would recommend using Ethernet over USB, you may end up with a large home
> network soon and there is a lot of just fine "old" ethernet hardware out there.

By that time I'll probably be running off a newer box.  I've been playing
with softsynths & MIDI (even without an actual MIDI keybd.) and am already
drooling over the prospect of sound  processing with the Agnula distro's
kernel patched for better latency.

> > Anybody out there have experience with RR's 'cooperation' with the Linux
> > community
>
> My understanding (2nd hand) is that they don't know you when you say Linux.
>    I am using Earthlink, it is about $2.00/month cheaper. You will need some
> kind of firewall, there are some free ones out there that run on your PC, I
> connect to the Cable Modem through a Siemens Router which has built in
> firewall to keep out the nasties and 4 each 10/100 ethernet ports.

I remember there being a website called 'earthlinksucks.com' where I read
a few nightmarish stories about their support even of Windows customers.
They make me a bit nervous therefore, though I take your word for it that
you're having an okay time of it.  But you probably don't *need* their
support--I figure most folks here wouldn't.

Thanks for your input--I'll try to make it to the mtg. next week, but I'll
let you know for sure so you can know whether to bring that card--whaddaya
want for it, just in case I can come?

--Mark