[TriLUG] need Radius suggestions/help

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 7 08:43:21 EST 2004

As a disclaimer I have never set up radius before.  Ever.   Okay, here where I find myself.  The wireless project at the beach which has been going on for nearly forever is nearing completion.  Finally.  My wireless network, as it stands today looks like this:

Sprint DSL to Internet
M0n0Wall based firewall w/two LANs
LAN1 - wired office lan, 192.168.15.0/24
LAN2 - wireless public wild-west LAN 192.168.16.0/24

mono is configured to block ALL traffic between LAN1 and LAN2 (and vice-versa).

My next step is to place a capture and release portal on wireless LAN2 to keep people who are not staying at the campground from leeching off the signal (as well as to place some marketing material on the capture page to remind people how wonderful they are to provide the signal to their customers, blah blah blah).

Mono has a capture and release portal built in that uses Radius (on a seperate machine) for authentication.  I have never mess with Radius.  Ever.  I want to make this as painless as possible for the owners and operators of the campground, who are not that tech savvy, as well as the campers who think they they are tech savvy but most are not.

Is there any way to configure Radius to allow everyone to use one single password that changes on a monthly basis?  I would think not but I am hoping so.

If I can't use a single passowrd that changes monthly for everyone what are my options for providing a username and password for each user?  Can the generation of usernames and passwords that time out after X days be scritped and automated (say by a PHP page)?  My vision here, if I can't use a single password for everyone, is to have a PHP webpage running on the single linux box that asks how many days person X is going to be using the system and would then print out a page on a local printer that prints the "acceptable use" policy at the top with the username and password at the bottom (which would have been created on the Radius server).  How much trouble would this be?

Greg