[TriLUG] accessing mail.trilug.org, port 993

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 00:34:21 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I just returned from out of town and after reading this though I
should respond.

1. Jon said it already, but I'll reiterate.  Always use "traceroute
-I".  Standard
traceroute these days uses UDP and we filter out UDP in our firewall rules.
traceroute -I uses ICMP echo (also known as ping) which we allow.

2. Alan, is your DSL connection on kr4jb.dyndns.org?  If so, then I think
the problem is on your end.  From dargo I can "traceroute -I" all the way to
your host but on moya it fails at the very last step.  That, to me, indicates
that your system is trashing packets to/from 64.244.27.141.  Try checking
your syslogs.  If you're running iptables, it should log something when you
drop a packet.  Alternatively, turn off your firewall and see if that makes
things work.

3. I can definitively say there is nothing on the trilug servers that would
drop packets from anyone.  In the past we have setup blacklists for
specific IPs on specific ports (mainly port 25) against hosts that
were attacking us, but those only stay active for a few days and
non are active now.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Tanner