[TriLUG] Cups and OS 10.3

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Tue Jan 4 12:51:28 EST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 9:48 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> CUPS is proving to be an on-going nightmare for me.  Yesterday I
> tar'ed up my home directory, move it to a new machine, and promptly
> blew away my old 10.3 installation (I wanted to rid myself of OS 9 and
> free up disk space).  Once the upgraded was finished I untar'ed my
> home directory and everything worked - except CUPS.
>
> Now when I go to the URL http://127.0.0.1:631 to configure my printers
> I cannot get passed the popup window that asks for username and
> password.

You'll need to play with your cupsd.conf file in /etc/cups.

Here's the pertinent snippet from mine:

<Location /admin>
#
# You definitely will want to limit access to the administration
functions.
# The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
# is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
# the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
#

AuthType None
AuthClass Anonymous

## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1

#Encryption Required
<Limit GET>
#AuthType Basic
AuthType Shadow Hash
AuthGroupName admin
AuthClass System
</Limit>
</Location>

The AuthClass System will allow system admins to manage cups.

-T
___
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer			Main:		+1 919 545 2553
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.					Fax:			+1 503-961-7746
Email: tarus at opennms.org				URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C