[TriLUG] OFF-TOPIC - Snow "Storm"?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 21 10:54:39 EST 2005

What a disaster!  I work from home so, from that end I was okay.
However my wife drives from youngsville to RTP for work.  We were
supposed to get a "light dusting" but, as was perviously stated, it was
a mess in less then an hour.  I have an old 1992 Jeep Cherokee that I
keep around for reasons such as this.  I told kelly that I would come
to RTP to get her instead of her trying to drive her car home (it's
front wheel drive but I with the hills we would encounter on the drive
home I was certain that she would slip off the road at one point or
another).

Luckily I drive on back roads to RTP and only encounter traffic once I
get Miami and Highway 70.  Even at 2:00 there were cars piled up no the
shoulder of the road.  I made it to RTP and the drive home, which would
normally take 45 minutes, took two hours.  I never put the Jeep in four
low but I did take advantage of grassy shoulders of the road in four
high on the steep hills.

I had a couple significant slips and slides on the way home but I was
thankful for the old Jeep stepping up and getting the job done once
again.  I only wish it had the full-time 4x4 transfer case which would
take the shifting into and out of four wheel drive out of the picture.

Greg