[TriLUG] Odd Network problem

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Sun Feb 13 01:40:55 EST 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 01:33 am, Greg Cox wrote:
> > Starting this morning, it has been randomly unable to ping various boxes
> > on our network.  That is, until you ping the nagios server from the
> > "unpingable" server.   Then Nagios can ping that server all it wants.
>
> Architecture/OS of culprit boxes, nonculprits (are there any?), nagios
> server?

NT/2000/XP/HP-UX/Linux-RH, Deb, Mandrake.  pretty much anything is
susceptible.  (which is why I didn't mention a specific.

> How long from remotebox pinging nagiosbox until it reoccurs (or does that
> fix it for good)?

Random.  Several weeks, to several minutes.

> Version of nagios and plugins?  When it's in a failure, does hand-pinging
> fail, same as calling (guessing) /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ping etc?

It's not just nagios, it's all network traffic.  can't telnet manually to
ports, or ping or anything to the affected boxes.  (I'm certain it's not a
nagios specific problem.  That's just what brought this to my attention.)

> Everything on the same switch?  Model of switch?

Yes.  Cisco 5509

As always TIA.

CJK