[TriLUG] Re: OT: Old Thinnet coax & AM reception

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Tue Feb 22 08:11:08 EST 2005

> > Does someone know where I can find some thinnet cables at a price
> > somewhere
> > between cheap and free (inclusive)?  Ideally I just need two, perhaps 20
> > feet in length..
> [JR>] no; however, any of a number of music stores carry ready-made XLR
> mic
> cables with plug n play operation...unless you just really, really like
> RF.
>
> So you think I can get 100' of ready-made XLR cable from a retail store
> for
> less than I can find a couple castoff 20' thinnet cables?  Plus
> installation, since stretching a cable across the floor is *not* an
> option...

[JR>] I'd rather use xlr mic cable.  20' no prob to find locally at one of
those Raleigh music stores on Capital Blvd.  100' may be prob locally (you
might wanna call first).  I can drop ship a 100' cable as well (it is a
standard size).

Or, you can show up at my door with a six pack of fine nectar from the
heavens plus some mic cord, and we'll solder up one.  I've probably got
stock on some xlr connectors left over from the last quarter century of a
past life with music for churches and stinking bars.

Whether you use a coax 20' or a mic xlr 20' to get the wireless box out of
the equipment room, you've still got a cable.