[TriLUG] Linksys advice

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 9 12:58:10 EST 2005

I'm hoping someone knows a backdoor short of re-chipping the box....

I've installed a Linksys WAP onto my home network to supplement an
Apple AirPort Base Station with a faulty wireless card. The AirPort
still manages the dial-up connection to the Internet, but the Linksys
now handles the wireless to LAN connections.

This setup works fine as far as allowing every computer to get
to where they want to go.

But the Linksys has a nasty habit of treating the Internet as being
always available, always up, and no cost. That's a reasonable
assumption if it's connected to a cable modem, but doesn't work
when the Internet link is dialup.  The Linksys keeps asking the AirPort
for an Internet connection for some purpose, which causes
the phone line to be tied up for <AirPort_TIMEOUT> minutes.

Does anyone know what/who the Linksys is contacting behind my
back?Or better yet, how to tell it to stop?

I'm hoping for a simple fix which doesn't involve sniffing the
connection from Ethereal, re-chipping the Linksys, or building
my own box to ahandle the dial-up.

Then again, I'm open to suggestions.....

--
"Convenience causes blindness. Think about it."

Steve Holton
sholton at mindspring.com