[TriLUG] Samba printing problems

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon Apr 25 21:28:56 EDT 2005

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I've got an HP Deskjet attached to a linux box.  I can't get it to be
> reliably accessible via Samba from my wife's Windoze XP machine.

If you're using XP, save yourself the trouble of Samba and printing and
go straight to the CUPS server.  Make sure you have CUPS allowing
requests for your local subnet, and set the Windows network path to:

http://print.server:631/printers/name_of_queue

That will get one layer of abstraction out of the mix and allow you to
get a (possibly) sane error report out of CUPS.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex dot net

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5