[TriLUG] Music Files (and a small rant)

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:31:52 EDT 2005

this is true... many bands allow legal trading/sharing of live
recordings of their shows, unless a produced and sold version of said
concert is on the market by the band... trade your live copy, not
theirs, buy theirs.  Always buy studio produced albums.  If a band
allows free trade of live recordings, take advantage of that and enjoy
the music!  just buy the studio albums... or song by song now that you
can do that... since some complain that they have to buy an entire
album for a single song.  :)

... now that I've posted twice to a degenerating thread of music ethics... :p

On 5/26/05, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> i reckon folks haven't been to etree.org or heard of the jambands.  besides,
> it is more fun to make music than to listen to recordings of  it :-)  back
> in the day, the grateful dead would have a separate section of every concert
> for tapers.  the openly promoted the copying of their music.  funny how they
> were the top grossing band.
>

> sholton at mindspring.com wrote:
> William Sutton <william at trilug.org> writes:

> On a related note, if the average CD costs $15 and has 15 tracks, that's

$1/song if bought legit. Do you all really think the artists would

appreciate being gypped that $4500 to begin with?

> Why do you immediately presume every downloaded song must have
a pissed-off
> artist behind it?

I'm as much against copyright infringement as everyone
> else
(for what that says) but if we start equating all downloading
activity