[TriLUG] Postfix v QMail ?

Douglas Ward dward at nccumc.org
Fri Jun 17 08:37:22 EDT 2005

We run postfix on several linux boxen on our network.  Our main e-mail
server is Exchange (from before I arrived) and we have a postfix -
mailscanner - clamav - spamassassin (on Mandrake 2005) e-mail gateway
that filters all incoming and outgoing messages (about 25k/day - with
anywhere between 75-80% rejection rate because of spam and viruses).
Postfix sits alongside Exchange and they play well together.  We also
have two mailman servers and a surgemail server that will host multiple
domains as soon as I figure out how to use it.  Our linux web servers
use postfix to deliver e-mail from forms, logwatch updates etc...  I
found postfix to be relatively easy and intuitive.  As a former
Microsoft apostle I started learning Linux in January and now have all
of this set up and in production.  The documentation on postfix.org is
outstanding.  My favorite feature is that you can set up recipient
restrictions with a few commands that will automatically block the
majority of incoming spam.  After setting up our gateway my users have
experienced a major reduction in the amount of junk mail that they have
to wade through.  A few of them are convinced that their e-mail is
broken because no one is sending them any mail!  :)

Seriously though, I don't know anything about QMail.  I suppose that
makes me rather biased for Postfix.

Douglas Ward
IT Director
NC Methodist Conference