[TriLUG] aptitude broke gaim!

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jul 11 10:39:58 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,
   Ignorance rears its ugly head again, and I've lost gaim, apparently.

I didn't really expect hitting u, then g, in aptitude would result in
applications being removed.  I figured it'd just update the things that
needed updating.  Apparently that was silly of me.

[already snipping excess verbage of my own]

Okay.  It alllll seems to boil down to libaspell15c2.  Apparently
libaspell15c2 conflicts with libaspell15.  Um..  Why?  Shouldn't
libaspell15c2 be a replacement for libaspell15?  If I upgrade
libaspell15 to libaspell15c2, kdelibs4 gets broken (and if I try to
apt-get install libaspell15c2 instead of using aptitude, it wants to
remove the 229 packages that depend on kdelibs4.  Not an option!)

To summarize, here's the complete sequence of failed dependencies:

GOAL: gaim-1.4.0
	REQUIRES: libgtkspell0

libgtkspell0
	REQUIRES: libaspell15c2

libaspell15c2
	CONFLICTS WITH: libaspell15
	BREAKS:	kdelibs4 (which depends on libaspell15)

I'm guessing I probably need to downgrade something, but I'm not sure
what, or how to go about it.

Argh.  I feel so disconnected!  Anyway, any and all help is greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
~Brian