[TriLUG] aptitude broke gaim!

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Jul 11 11:32:49 EDT 2005

> Okay.  It alllll seems to boil down to libaspell15c2.  Apparently
> libaspell15c2 conflicts with libaspell15.  Um..  Why?  Shouldn't
> libaspell15c2 be a replacement for libaspell15?

I'm not sure about aptitude, synaptic, etc.  But if you're using
good-old-fashioned "apt", there is a difference between doing an
"upgrade" and a "dist-upgrade".  UPGRADE simply brings the versions
of all installed packages up to date.  DIST-UPGRADE will also pull
in any new packages that are required by your upgraded packages.

This sounds like it might be your problem.

Is there an option in aptitude to do a "dist-upgrade" instead of
an "upgrade"?  If not, then try "apt-get dist-upgrade" on the command
line and see if that fixes gaim.

Alan

.