[TriLUG] Apache sharing files out of a samba share

John Berninger johnw at berningeronline.net
Thu Jul 14 14:15:03 EDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, David McDowell wrote:

> We can list the files, we cannot open the files... in light of that, I
> tried a different method (since responses are limited so far)
>
> I put a sym link in the Apache directory, for example:
> /home/user/public_html/mysymlink
> points to /mnt/mysharename.
>
> PHP can also list the contents perfectly fine via the sym link, but
> Apache cannot and /var/log/httpd/error_log indicates "Symbolic link
> not allowed".  Well, I kinda expected PHP would work and Apache would
> throw an error like that, but I had to try.
>
> Any other suggestions?  This is so our files can be hosted on a smb
> share (fileserver on separate machine) but be accessed by our
> application running on Apache.  Smb share perms are not in question...
> they are unlimited rights in the sandbox with our sample files while
> we test things.

        Given that, then I believe you're stuck with moving the share
mount point inside the vhost's DocumentRoot or creating a new vhost.
I'm kind of surprised PHP didn't read the file from the share directly,
but I must be missing something somewhere, or I'm using a different
(possibly less secure?) version, or something else strange.

--
John Berninger

GPG Key ID: A8C1D45C
        Fingerprint: B1BB 90CB 5314 3113 CF22  66AE 822D 42A8 A8C1 D45C

Ita erat quando hic adveni.