[TriLUG] LVM conversion?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Jul 15 11:35:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:14:28AM -0400, Hugh Crissman wrote:
> I have been reading about LVM the last few days and decided I want to
> convert my workstation to use LVM. The problem is, how do I do this
> without destroying my current config? I have setup LVM on a fresh install
> before but not on a working system. Is it even possible?

It is doable, but it is work.

Do you have free space on your disk, either as whole partitions, or good
sized chunks of existing partitions?

Do you have a "portable hard drive," perhaps USB-connected?

If the former, you might be able to do the "bootstrap" thing that I did
one one laptop, re-formatting free space as LVM, moving tree-parts to
that space, and repeating.

If the latter, do an rsync-backup to the PHD, reformat and restore.

Have fun!

Brian