[TriLUG] LVM conversion?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 11:34:46 EDT 2005

Hugh Crissman wrote:
> I have been reading about LVM the last few days and decided I want to
> convert my workstation to use LVM. The problem is, how do I do this
> without destroying my current config? I have setup LVM on a fresh install
> before but not on a working system. Is it even possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> H. Crissman

One approach is discussed here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2003-May/msg00013.html

There is also a portion of the LVM HOWTO that addresses converting a
root filesystem to LVM:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO.html#UpgradeRootToLVM

These documents include warnings about recovery problems.  I learned
this the hard way a year and a half ago, when one of the four drives in
my LVM HP-UX system died.

I was able to get the drive replaced and the system running again, but
it was a major effort!  Someone with more LVM experience might have
found it easier though.

Good luck,

Scott C.