[TriLUG] Ubuntu stuff

Dan dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Mon Aug 15 20:52:14 EDT 2005

Cristobal Palmer wrote:
> Taking a step back from the acrimony, crimsun has a valid point
> regardlessof your opinion on the quality of the site to which you
> linked.

acrimony?  how so? crimsun asks me to not do something that is perfectly
within my right to do... I get to recommend stuff regardless of whether
he/she agrees or not.  He/She asks me to stop, with no true right.
Wherein lies the acrimony?

> Using a wiki established by the development community helps to improve
> ubuntu. If the user base turns to other sources for help rather than looking
> within the ubuntu community, it diminishes the quality of the distribution.
> It's not hard to see why.

It might help the developers... but is ubuntu only that?  "If the user
community turns to other sources for help, rather than looking
within, it diminishes the community..."  You actually say that?

That wiki solved a need that I had... something that the *true
developers* didn't solve.  I know where I place the thanks.

> If you like what you see on the website you linked to, it behooves you to
> help fold it back into the ubuntu community by contributing to the wiki or
> by contacting the page's maintainer about contributing to ubuntu's
> development.

Behooves me?  How so?  Exactly what is it that I owe and to whom do I
owe it?

> And yes, the fonts are pretty.

they are and that has been my whole point... I *like* Ubuntu a lot.
Ubuntu is my newest greatest thing... but the Ubuntu Moonies[1] are
getting on my nerves.

*"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".*

[1]http://www.perkel.com/politics/moonies/