[TriLUG] Another idea for triwiki

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:59:06 EDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ed, mediawiki is a temporary measure until a real wiki is implemented.
>  I hope to do this within the next few weeks.  We've already had to
> kill a number of wiki spams though.

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but are you *certain* that MediaWiki is
> > the best choice for a public-facing wiki site?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I've admin-ed a few public-facing wikis and all
> > but one of them was found by "wiki spammers" and quickly devolved into a
> > battleground for wiki-spam or whatever you want to call all those nearly
> > unintelligible "v1Agra" and other messages that blossomed into thousands
> > of lines on dozens of new pages.  Its a total shame.  And the wikis
> > became such a mess that we abandoned them or locked them away with
> > passwords.
> >
> > So, have you seen:
> >
> >   http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/WikiEngineComparison
> >   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software
> >   http://wikifeatures.wiki.taoriver.net/moin.cgi/WikiEngine
> >
> > and noticed that most modern wikis now support some kind of
> > authentication, ACLs, page-locking, and/or other permissions?  And
> > notice that MediaWiki, while it is a *very* nice-looking and widely-used
> > wiki engine, is one of the few that (almost) totally lacks this
> > important (I would say crucial) feature?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > --
> > Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> > office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Rm 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
> >              Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
> > emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
> > URLs:    http://web.mit.edu/eh3/    http://eh3.com/
> > phone:   617-253-0098
> > fax:     617-253-4464
> >
> > --

> Joseph Tate
> Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
> Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com

There is actually a quite effective extension to mediawiki which traps
wikispam by regexes on the urls  the spammers try to "publicize."
Wikipedia maintains a list of urls with which they've been spammed,
and there is a site chongqed.org which maintains a more extensive
list, albeit not in exactly the form which the mediawiki extension
uses.

I've implemented this on my mediawiki installation and it has pretty
much put a stop to wikispam for me.  I'd mentioned this to Tanner
several months ago.

Here's the article about it on mediawiki:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SpamBlacklist_extension

I contributed the section about how to mung the chongqed wikispam
blacklist into what the  mediawiki extension wants, it's a pretty
simple grep.

I've also made my own functional extensions to add the ability to
nominate spam monitor email addresses who get notified if someone
trips the trap.