[TriLUG] OT: Amiable ping target

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Aug 26 11:01:10 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> A common problem. Unfortunately the RFCs say that ping is not to be used
> (at least continuously) for connectivity checking.

Which RFC says that?  I'm not contradicting you; I just want to read it
and learn more. (-:  So far, I've only found some generic stuff that
doesn't specifically mention when (and when not) to use ICMP ECHO:

RFC 792  - ICMP
RFC 2151 - A Primer on Internet and TCP/IP Tools and Utilities

Kevin Otte wrote:
> sntop (http://sntop.sf.net/): Set up a config file (3 lines per host: short
> name, ip/hostname, description) and it continually gives host status in
> 'top' style.  Can even produce HTML output.
>
> Both are available as Debian packages (and thus likely Ubuntu as well).

Ooo, looks interesting.  Although I was sort of looking forward to
flexing my C++ skills a bit (just for the heck of it, instead of using
something like Perl...no interpreter, [hopefully] smaller process
footprint). :-)  Nothing like a sideline programming project to make a
dull job a little more bearable.

Cheers and thanks,
~Brian