[TriLUG] Open source Sharepoint Team Services portal

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Sep 15 09:23:57 EDT 2005

My Corporate office uses Sharepoint, and it well uh, Sucks!.  First
off it's Active X driven so if you have a mixed OS enviroment then
sharepoint will basically only end up working for your windows
clients. it's not very untuitive, although apparently very easy to get
running.  I seems slow and overbloated for the content it's actually
serving.  But it integrates with Office 2K3 ;)

I would think a good CMS program + wiki + ??? would work better.  Some
CMS's have wiki's built in but I don't know how well they compare to
full blown wiki's.  One thing sharepoint does is allow you to have
document repositories that people can share and get notified of
updates.

If you looking for a document management solution look at Knowledge
Tree. http://freshmeat.net/projects/knowledgetree/  While I haven't
run it in production, I have evaluated it and it does seem stable.  It
may be over kill depending on what your needs are.

I agree with Kevin, you need to find out what their requirements are
before you can look for a solution.

Matt P.