[TriLUG] linux-based PDA

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:51:09 EDT 2005

I've fought this same battle for years.  In the end, for me, it boiled
down to three things:

1. what was my primary desktop at work?  (it was M$, not my choice,
but this is corporate america)
2. Apple does not make a PDA.
3. My java programming really sucks.

With these factors in mind I went with a pocket pc.  This was a long
while ago, back when the iPaqs were still fairly new.  The thing that
sealed the deal for me was the add on storage and the ability to do IR
file transfers between my laptop and PDA.  That was a nice touch.
That and the folding keyboard/PDA stand combo thing.  That thing was
sweet.

Today I'd probably still get a pocket pc.  The reason I really wanted
an Apple PDA was so I would not have to carry around a huge PC just to
transfer digital pictures to something when my camera filled up (that
and keep track of several memory sticks).  Now with the iPhoto iPod
that need is taken care of.  So, if I were using strictly a PDA I'd
probably still go with the pocket PC for one reason: it's small,
lightweight, and to the best of my knowledge it supports Active X for
those pesky few apps that I can't seem to shake (like time card entry
for the contact company I work for.. it's kind of a bitch not paid).

Anyway, if I could replace an entire home M$ desktop and a mobile dual
boot laptop with a pocket PC and get something to work with my system
at work I'd personally go that route.

Greg