[TriLUG] Mailman conversion from FreeBSD to Centos 4

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Sun Oct 2 18:00:41 EDT 2005

Kinda rushed here, so sorry if this is short on details and long on typos.

Migrated a production system over to Centos. Copied over Mailman
configurations, lists and aliases from old FreeBSD box to new CentOS
system. On the old box Mailman was installed as a source package, on
CentOS its RPM

When trying to send e-mail to a list you get a bounce complaining about
group mis-match errors:

"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
     (reason: 2)
     (expanded from: <test at vaxer.net>)

Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as one of the following groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "bin".
Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
or re-run configure providing the command line option:
'--with-mail-gid=bin'.
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

I have no idea what wrapper script it's talking about. Smrsh is currently
disabled due to conflicts with procmail... So I'm trying to figure out
what I need to change and where. Any suggestions?
(And no I do NOT want to rebuild from source)