[TriLUG] Mailman conversion from FreeBSD to Centos 4

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 21:46:58 EDT 2005

Dude,

I've seen this problem a thousand times and it is *exactly* what it says
it is. Your old mailman wrapper was compiled to only allow groups:
   [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon]

That worked fine because your old mail program ran as one of those
groups. Your new mail program runs as group "bin"

You either need to edit the config file for your SMTP server so that
runs as one of the above groups... or recompile your wrapper program so
that it expects your mail program to run as group "bin" (see the error
message for the syntax to use with the ./configure command).

This is a built in safe-guard of Mailman so that arbitrary apps can't
run the wrappers and spam folks.

Remember, literacy counts.

Jon