[TriLUG] No more Linux on WRT54G???

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:51:01 EST 2005

This sounds like a product manager or technical product marketing
guy's good idea (in conjunction with support teams, etc.), motivated
by support concerns and returns.

I'd suspect that bricked WRT54Gs upped their number of returned
products, and returned products in the consumer space are a pure drag
on revenue.

It can't have been a trivial effort to replace the OS and all
associated behavior.  Backing off now would likely be tough, despite
some initial problems.

Disclaimer: Although I work for Cisco, I have no insider information
re: Linksys.  In fact, I think I had a little more BEFORE I started
working for Cisco...

Shane O.

On 11/14/05, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps Linksys will do a 180 and go back to Linux on the WRT5G.  So
> far the reviews I've been hearing about the version 5 product are bad
> across the board.  Problems include: router locking up during install
> via installation CD at predictable intervals, wireless signal
> mysteriously disappearing, router lockups during gaming (sounds
> strange, but I'm just reporting the rumors), wired ports losing
> connectivity (now *THAT'S* odd), WPA refusing to work on some models
> but not others, and a host of other problems.
>
> I also hear that Linksys is still selling Linux based WRT54GLs in
> Europe.  Let's hope they creep back across the pond and we can chalk
> up this "upgrade" from linksys to a simple bad idea.  Like New Coke or
> Clear Beer or that hideous Chicken Skin and Curry pizza slice I had in
> Japan.
>
> Greg

Shane O.
========