[TriLUG] No more Linux on WRT54G???

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:24:16 EST 2005

On 11/16/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/15/05, Reginald Reed <reginald.reed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Wow, I remember the PC/XT3270. We had one in the office I worked in at
> my
> > University. If I remember correctly, it was a channel attached terminal
> > device an ISA card. We never used it for anything more than a dumb
> terminal,
> > but I much preferred the old 3278s.
>
> I don't think that it was channel attached. IIRC, it connected to a
> regular 327x controller. One of it's problems was that the third
> party IRMA card came out and did the same job of 327x emulation
> cheaper.

Yep, we had IRMA cards too.

The PC/XT3270 and the PC/XT370 were announced together. Barrons had a
> front page article saying that they signalled the end of regular PCs,
> how wrong was that?
>
> > In my first group I ever worked in at Cisco, we the RS/6000 equivalent
> of
> > the PC/XT370 - don't remember the model, but it ran MVS on a
> coprocessor.
> > Fairly nifty if you're into mainframes. I never went beyond 370 assemply
> and
> > a little bit 'o REXX.
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of the PC/RT, which IIRC ran AIX.

Actually, I know what the PC/RT was and wanted one for the longest but never
acquired one. I used to be an AIX and DB/2 admin at my University. Its the
reason I still use the Korn shell to this day.

Just checked with a colleague and what we had was an R/390 and before that a
P/390 with OS/2 as the host OS.

And apropos all this, and the recent "old operating systems"
> discussion on another thread, I ran into this site yesterday.
>
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/
>
> If you get carried away, you can run MVS and Linux/390 simultaneously
> in virtual machines on VM/390 all running in an emulated 390 on Linux.
>
> To get an idea about how beefy that old mainframe hardware was check
> out this entry in the FAQ
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/hercfaq.html#3.01

Wow! This is WAY cool. Thanks for the link, when I have some "spare" time, I
may try to get something running.

--Reggie