[TriLUG] Linux and iTunes, what are my choices?

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:16:45 EST 2005

As far as I know, OS X can only be emulated on linux 'fast' on a PPC
platform using Mac on Linux. By fast, I mean without emulating the PPC
chip. PearPC will emulate a Power chip on i386, but I do not how fast
or usable it will be--I never got it to run on my roommate's Windows
box.

This may change shortly with the looming transition of Apple to Intel,
but it will most likely take the software some time to catch up, if it
is technically possible.

Running the Windows version of iTunes is possible on linux using
CrossOver Office from Codeweavers. You should even be able to run
iTunes under Wine which CrossOver Office is based, but I do not know
how easy the installation would be.

Aside:
My Tibook is also showing age, the main problem, like yours, being the
optical drive. I, however am lucky enough to still have 2 months of
warranty remaining. Still, they have replaced the optical drive in
mine twice. Both times, the new drive died within 90 days. The Apple
Store (here in Charlotte) thinks I have a logic board issue, esp since
my laptop toasted its power brick last night. I for one, am waiting to
see what announcements, if any, Apple makes on 10 Janurary before I
replace it.

Hope my ramblings help
~Steven Blanchard