[TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.

Jason Faulkner jasonlf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:00:32 EST 2006

I use two, opposite spectrum distributions.

On my server for Old Os, I run gentoo linux x86, with lighttpd instead
of apache. My main reason for doing that is that when I built the
server, it only had 64mb of ram. The ability to build small binaries
without much hassle made a HUGE difference in performance and ram
usage. The system is now up to 160mb ram, but I still use gentoo on
there because it's setup, and all I have to do is update and forget
it.

On my server for OpenDocument Fellowship I run Debian Sarge. The main
reason behind this is simple: Debian has a tendency to "just work"
with things. You install it, configure it, and don't worry about it.
The ability to quickly install new apps makes the server more dynamic
than the gentoo server, and better suited for me having to meet OTHER
peoples needs, and not just my own.

--
Jason Faulkner