[TriLUG] Good Open-Source MySQL Portal-Maker?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Feb 9 09:37:03 EST 2006

When I read the title...I was going to suggest LifeRay.  It's an open-source
portal system that will run on just about any Java appserver and interface
with most databases, including MySQL, I think.

Then I read the rest of your article...and can't really see how a portal
system would apply?  Are you using the term "portal" in this way:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal

Or are you simply looking for a way to build a web-interface for your database?

> James Brigman wrote:
>> Hey TriLUGers - Currently at work, we use a MS-SQL database for tracking
>> servers and various configuration parameters about said servers: CPU #
>> and speed, RAM, Disk, lease end date, etc. It's all manual, and it's an
>> extreme pain to use and update (manually). Worse yet, it's not
>> web-delivered, multi-user and remote sites can't use it at all. Plus,
>> performance over WAN links is terrible.
>> This seems like a perfect application to host on MySQL fronted with a
>> web-form type front end. I'd love nothing better than to pull the data
>> out of the MS-SQL database and put it into MySQL, then serve it using an
>> authenticated, Apache-served web page.
>>
>> My question to the list is: has anyone built MySQL databases containing
>> your equipment inventories and fronted with web portals where you can
>> add/edit/delete the various bits of data?
>> And if anyone is doing such a thing, is there a good tool for quickly
>> making such a database portal, or am I just being a database n00b by
>> assuming it's a major deal to do it from the ground up without a tool to
>> help? (I figure things like drop-downs, select fields and data typing
>> are non-trivial to do in a web form.)
>>
>> More importantly, is anyone using such a portal as a foundation for,
>> say, NAGIOS monitoring, such that the NAGIOS tool uses the database to
>> know what to monitor? What say you big pulsing *NIX brains of the
>> TriLUG?

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformance.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software