[TriLUG] thermal evaluation of cpu

Brett Bolen brettb at trilug.org
Thu Mar 16 09:43:23 EST 2006

John Mitchell wrote:
> Hi TriLug,
>
>    At my place of employment we are converting an embedded system from
> WinXP Embedded to Linux.
>
>    What I need is a program(or several different ones) that will allow
> us to do a Thermal evaluation of the processor - get it hot. This
> device does not have a graphics card so running BZFlag is out! The
> normal function will be doing lots of numeric computations and image
> processing
>
>    One solution that comes to mind is a script file running
> "ImageMagik", converting images back and forth, rotating and such.
>
>    Can the Trilug suggest any other cpu intensive programs?
>

> John Mitchell

I use the following to heat up a cpu

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
do
for j in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
do
echo .......... $i.$j
md5sum /proc/kcore &
md5sum /proc/kcore &
md5sum /proc/kcore &
md5sum /proc/kcore
done
done

This kicks off 4 heavy cpu processes.  I use 4 because the rackount system
was dual cpu with hyperthreading ( probably two was sufficient to keep the
cpus busy).

I have seen 15C-20C swings when running this script.  It peggs xload
and xosview.

Brett ( aka b\375, bsquared)