[TriLUG] CACert Certificates and Assurances

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Mar 16 12:08:29 EST 2006

As both a Thawte Web Of Trust Notary and a CACert Assurer, I have been
privy to discussion among the senior CACert organization members and
Assurers.

One thing that most of us need to be aware of, and this is only able to
be changed with great effort after you have received your first
assurance points, is that the name on your CACert account should be
EXACTLY the same as your "official documents" that you might present to
any CACert Assurer that you wish points from.  These might be your
passport, your driver's license, or any other qualifying "official
government identification."

The official line is that if the government documents show your actual
first name, even though you don't use it, as my father does, then your
CACert record should show that as your "primary" identification,
although you may apparently also show alternatives.  ( I need to check
further into this last. )

If your CACert records do not match your official documents, the assurer
is perfectly within her rights to refuse to assure you.  I know that I
have been a bit lax with this rule for people that I know personally,
but as the group of CACert Certificate holders and Assurers grows, we
need to more closely follow the established rules.

Thanks,
Brian