[TriLUG] Has anyone looked at gizmo?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Mar 21 09:08:12 EST 2006

>Does Gizmo support sending tones?
>
>With Skype, I've had a problem using the dialer to send tones to phonebots and answering machines, whenever there's a "Press one to leave a message" situation.

On a side note, when you send tones over a cellular phone,
they don't actually run the DTMF tones through the vocoder.
Instead, they send meta-information "5 key pressed" and
then "5 key released". This way, if your call fades for
a second (you drive through a tunnel), your long keypress
will not be broken into two short keypresses.

I imagine that Skype and VOIP services do not have this
same sort of out-of-band signaling. So I bet they have
to encode the tones (which do not encode very well) and
send them as normal audio.

Interesting problem. I'm looking forward to learning
more about Gizmo and other VOIP goodies. Perhaps Kevin
or one of our other VOIP-masters would like to put
together a presentation for a TriLUG meeting!

Alan

.