[TriLUG] one more fresh system question: vi weird

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu May 11 11:50:13 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,
   One more thing that's odd about my fresh Edge install, and that's
vi[m].  I'm sure it's just a setting I'm missing somewhere, but here's
the symptoms:

My special keys (don't know the proper term..  Backspace, Home, End,
Delete, etc) aren't working normally.  Confusing things happen.
Backspace, for example, sometimes capitalizes the character under the
cursor, or does something else (I think depending on what key I press
next), and generally kicks me out of Insert mode.  I know those keys are
always iffy in *nix terminals, but they used to work the way I expected
before I reloaded.

Also, the mode indicator (that usually says -- INSERT -- or -- REPLACE
-- in the command line when in insert or replace mode) now never shows
up.  I have to guess if I'm insert mode by what happens when I press
other keys.

I don't remember having to make config changes to get this going in
previous attempts..  and this seems independent of my terminal emulator,
because the behavior is the same even if I switch to a textmode virtual
terminal (with Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6]), or if I ssh in from outside.

Sorry I'm asking a bunch of clueless questions lately..  Anybody have
some insight they'd be willing to lend?

Cheers,
~Brian