[TriLUG] OT: 64-bit computing advice

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Tue Aug 29 11:13:32 EDT 2006

Alan Porter wrote:

> That being said, I had great luck running Win98 under vmware when I
> bought my wife a new laptop.  I gave it to her with one very big string
> attached -- it must run Linux.  But all of her favorite stuff was on
> Win98.  So she ran vmware (actually copied the entire filesystem over
> from her old machine).  Over time, she realized that it was faster to
> run Firefox and Thunderbird natively in Linux.  She slowly weaned
> herself off of Windows (without much prodding on my part).

I just got rid of the last Windows box in the house. Bought an Intel Mac
Mini and put Parallels on it. It was a machine my wife used a lot, so I
leave the Windows VM up in full screen mode most of the time. But she
can now Alt-Enter back to Aqua and run iTunes, iPhoto, etc., so I hope
to wean her away from Windows.

-T

--

Tarus Balog