[TriLUG] Phone/DSL wiring

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Aug 29 11:27:26 EDT 2006

My DSL has been misbehaving lately, and a Covad tech came
out to see what was going on.  It turns out that, not
surprisingly, the problem lies in the mare's-nest of
antique cables and connectors I'm using.  So I have to
clean up my act.

I've got a single 2-pair RJ11 jack in the wall, behind a
bookcase and inaccessible.  I've got a 2-pair flat
phone cable coming out from there, which is obviously
what I need to use as a base.  Line 1 (the first wire
pair) is strictly house telephone; line 2 is work
phone/DSL/fax machine.

Pretty much all Cat-5 stuff appears to be 4-pair and
RJ45.  As long as I can mesh that with the 2-pair RJ11
connector coming from the wall, it's just a matter of
getting the right parts.  Unfortunately, I think it's
still going to be messy:

wall ]=====[coupler]======[ Dual ]==[house phone]
     ]=====[       ]======[ jack |
                                 ]==x==//==> (xover cable)

>==//==[coupler]==[ Dual ]==[DSL modem]
                    jack ]
                         ]==[filter]==[fax]==[work phone]

Does that look reasonable?  If so, I need to know whether
a 4-pair crossover Cat-5 will work (I assume all the pairs
are reversed individually?) and whether an RJ11 plug going
into an RJ45 jack will Do The Right Thing.

I don't like two couplers and two dual-jacks, but I don't
see how else to do it.  Maybe I'm stupid or just too
tired.

If the crossover will work, and RJ11->RJ45 will work, and
the above isn't so ghastly that you're all off hurling into
the shrubbery, does anyone have an recommendations for where
I should buy all this crap and what brands?  I'll still
need RJ11 connectors on whatever I use between the dual-jack
and the house phone, the filter and the fax, and the fax and the
work phone.

Thanks..
- --
#ken	P-)}