[TriLUG] Phone/DSL wiring

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 29 11:55:17 EDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Pretty much all Cat-5 stuff appears to be 4-pair and
> RJ45.  As long as I can mesh that with the 2-pair RJ11
> connector coming from the wall, it's just a matter of
> getting the right parts.

Not sure if you're going to do this, but it's not a great
idea to mix plugs and jacks with different numbers of pins.
(I seem to remember you can put an RJ-11 plug into an RJ45
jack - the lands at the side of the RJ11 plug bend back
the extra wires in the jack).

> Unfortunately, I think it's
> still going to be messy:
>
> wall ]=====[coupler]======[ Dual ]==[house phone]
>     ]=====[       ]======[ jack |
>                                 ]==x==//==> (xover cable)
>
>> ==//==[coupler]==[ Dual ]==[DSL modem]
>                    jack ]
>                         ]==[filter]==[fax]==[work phone]

sorry can't tell what you're doing here.

There are continuity testers available for RJ11, RJ45. They
only measure continuity at DC, but thats good enough. Make
sure your cables are multicore wire (which you can bend many
times) rather than the default, of single core (which is
cheaper and for plenums and is not meant to be bent or
connected/disconnected multiple times).

I have a set which I bought for about $80 which is a pair of
units that clip together. You put one on each end of the
line. I couldn't find it with google, but I found this with
google just now.

http://www.dataaccessories.com/t3016.html

It looks like you plug both ends into the same unit (it
requires that both ends of the cable can be brought to the
same place, which you can probably do).

> Does that look reasonable?  If so, I need to know whether
> a 4-pair crossover Cat-5 will work (I assume all the pairs
> are reversed individually?) and whether an RJ11 plug going
> into an RJ45 jack will Do The Right Thing.

ooh, dont do that.

> I don't like two couplers and two dual-jacks, but I don't
> see how else to do it.  Maybe I'm stupid or just too
> tired.
>
> If the crossover will work,

current ethernet hardware detects if you have a crossover
and will handle it for you -y ou may not need a crossover
cable. My crossover cables all are a color not used anywhere
else in my setup and I tie a figure-8 knot in the wire, so
it's obvious to anyone else that there's something different
about this wire and they'll come and ask me "what's with the
knot?".

> I'll still
> need RJ11 connectors on whatever I use between the dual-jack
> and the house phone, the filter and the fax, and the fax and the
> work phone.

isn't your DSL modem RJ45 on one side and RJ11 on the other?
Keep all your phone/fax on the RJ11 side and your ethernet
on the RJ45 side

Joe