[TriLUG] [davjorda at cisco.com: [davjorda at cisco.com: Re: vpnc dropping out]]

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 11:28:50 EDT 2006

Clay,

Follow up in detail on the vpnc mailing list, but a quick overview is:

vpnc does not handle a function utilized within the concentrator called
rekeying. The timing on this depends on a number of factors, and as I
understand will require a complete re-write on the vpnc code base.

I have written some wrapper scripts that basically do the following:

1. ping (or do an ssh-keyscan for those sites that do not allow icmp).

2. if the ping or ssh-keyscan result is negative, rebuild the tunnel.

I run this script via cron every few minutes.

My experience is that I timeout every 8 hours on the dot. I understand the
newest patches for vpnc last 23 hours.

Ron