[TriLUG] Lost password for FreeBSD box

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Sep 1 19:24:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

    A co-worker of mine needs to go to another office of our employer
next week to get some data off of a Free BSD system.  We don't know the
hardware so that complicates it a bit.  The current staff have no idea
what the root password is, apparently the admin for the system is no
longer employed there, and he was the sole tech person.  My co-worker be
breaking in to the system, resetting the password and getting some data
off of it.  What I'm looking for is any tips that folks may have about
tools to take, etc.

    We do have physical access to the box, and it's on the network. I
hope that it's as simple as booting Knoppix to edit /etc/shadow and go,
but it's been so long since I messed with any BSD flavors that I don't know.

    Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

    Kevin