[TriLUG] buying songs online

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Sun Sep 3 23:18:13 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 22:41 -0400, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> I'll second that, be it iTunes, Walmart, Sony, or anyone else who
> cripples the music.  Not that it should be an excuse to do illegal
> things, but we should all pursue legal downloads, to the complete
> exclusion of DRM'ed stuff.  The power of the purse is the only one that
> most of the retailers and record companies care about.

Very good points.  I agree, DRM cripples products.  In my opinion, one
good way to fight it is to prove it futile.  No DRM is perfect, it is
all hackable.  So exercise your right to fair use and strip the DRM from
the products, whenever it is not possible to obtain the products without
DRM.

Eventually, this flawed business model will collapse.