[TriLUG] IRC lack-of-fun

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Sep 6 16:26:25 EDT 2006

Kevin Otte wrote:
> One of the arguments against has been a lack of console based Jabber client
> that doesn't suck (subjective I realize), but more to the point one that
> supports MUC (Multi-User Chat).

And when left to my own devices on a late summer afternoon, I sometimes
manage to reply to myself.  :)

I have installed a piece of software called "mcabber" on dargo.  Setup
isn't plug-and-play, but once running it's actually quite passable.

You'll need to get the example rc file and put it in your home
directory.  Simplest way:

mkdir ~/.mcabber
cp ~kjotte/public_html/mcabberrc.example ~/.mcabber/mcabberrc

(also visible at http://www.trilug.org/~kjotte/mcabberrc.example )

Edit the file with your Jabber ID and preferred server (I'm betting
jabber.trilug.org in this case).

Your roster will show up automatically.  Use PgUp and PgDn to navigate it.

To join the MUC:
/room join trilug at conference.jabber.trilug.org

Enjoy!

-- Kevin

P.S. Batteries not included.  Void where prohibited.  Offer not valid in
some states.  If it breaks, you keep all pieces.