[TriLUG] Postfix, Relay and nc.rr.com

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Wed Sep 20 11:36:56 EDT 2006

I have SUSE 10.1 box at home that acts as a mail gateway for a personal
domain I have. I have RoadRunner at home and for the last little while
everything has been working just fine using smtp-server.nc.rr.com as my
relay.

Well, today I noticed in the log files all out going e-mails had been
deferred queued in postfix with this error:
(Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=smtp-server.nc.rr.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

I can ping the server just fine, but no relay.

Anybody know if RR has started blocking mail relay now? I can set my
relay server to my postfix server at work and it works fine (but I can't
leave it that way since I am leaving for another job in a couple of
weeks.)

Is there a server at trilug.org that members can use for relay? I
thought this was asked previously but couldn't find anything specific on
the topic. I would just let my gateway deliver the mail, but then I run
into problems where several ISPs are blocking the dynamic IP ranges of
broadband providers like RR.

Any other valid options out there for relay? This is just the family
domain so there isn't a lot of mail traffic, but would like to continue
hosting it at home.

Thanks,
Brian