[TriLUG] OT: WRT54G bridging

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Mon Nov 6 12:01:01 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:11:25AM -0500, Brian Henning wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> >On Monday 06 November 2006 10:32 am, Brian Henning wrote:
> >>Hiya Gang,
> >>   If I pick up another WRT54G[L] and manage to successfully flash it
> >>with OpenWRT,
> >
> >Curious -- what's the benefits of flashing the access point with new
> >firmware?
>
> For my case, I didn't know that the factory WRT firmware would bridge
> itself with another WRT -- will it?
>
> I suspect in the general case, people do this because 1) they want
> feature X which factory firmware doesn't provide and 2) they can.

Or you may have a distrust of Linksys' competence/priorities with regard
to the firmware for the WRT54GL - both of mine came with a newer
firmware than is available from their web site. Of course, having a lot
of your users using another firmware might remove the motivation to keep
things up to date too.

Owen