[TriLUG] Linux on Compaq Presario Laptop...

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Jan 19 08:55:02 EST 2007

I'm partial to Red Hat and variants so I'd recommend the Fedora Core
family. I've had no problems with it, other than the bizarre stuff I do
(like running VGA AND DVI-D via docking stations). They just work.

I have a desktop with similar specs (More RAM) and it's running FC5.
It's a Digital Audio Workstation and I'm using fairly common video/audio
hardware. It was able to load what modules/drivers I needed no problem,
no special builds.

CentOS would work fine, but for a laptop, I would think it is probably
not the right choice as you might want more "bleeding edge" hardware
support and software than you would get in CentOS. It's designed to be a
very stable, robust, but "slow-to-transition" OS needed in an Enterprise
situation.

The specs you listed will work pretty much with any "modern" distro you
put on it. I'd recommend trying a few live distros and see which finds
your hardware and which one you like best. Then either install it or a
fresh copy of it or it's parent.

CentOS has a livecd (but it's not installable at this point)

FedoraUnity is a Fedora Core based livecd  (called Spins or Re-Spins)

Ubuntu is a Debian based livecd.

Slax is a Slackware based livecd.

Just my $0.02