[TriLUG] Need help finding bottleneck

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Jan 21 21:30:37 EST 2007

I have the exact same problem on the home network I manage at my parents'
house.  The issue seems to be the Netgear Mr314v2 router in use.  What
router make/model do you have?  Also make sure you have the latest
firmware.

I attempted to get around the issue with with a DNS server, but couldn't
convince the router to pass out the local DNS server IP with its DHCP
credentials.  The only solution would have been to turn off DHCP entirely
and run DHCP and DNS both from my internal server, something I didn't want
to do (it would break the network if the server went down).

So right now I'm looking at getting a new router.  Any ideas on router
models that don't have this issue would be appreciated.  Modifying
/etc/hosts is *not* a solution because of laptops that are sometimes
connected to other networks.

Thanks,
Jeremy