[TriLUG] Need help finding bottleneck

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Jan 21 21:37:15 EST 2007

I don't think the issue is DNS or linux server performance, exactly.  It's
probably the router doing odd things with the packets.

Roy - try pinging your server's external IP address from within the home
network.  See what kind of response time and packet loss you get.

In my situation, with the exact same symptoms (see previous post), I often
get 40-50% packet loss.  When downloading medium-sized files (e.g. images
from the gallery), I typically get 2-3 Kbytes/sec. - worse than dialup
speed.

Even if the packets are being sent to the cable modem, and bridged out to
the physical cable, and then back into the router, there is no excuse for
this kind of slowness, which is why I need a new router :-)

--Jeremy