[TriLUG] visiting Red Hat HQ

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Feb 7 19:22:31 EST 2007

Catherine Devlin wrote:

> In other words, if a general Linux enthusiast shows up at the doors of Red
> Hat HQ, will she find anything particularly rewarding there?  Will I be
> embraced by cuddly penguins, who will give me a flipper and lead me inside
> to a world of Linuxy goodness and wonder?  Or will a receptionist just
> frown at me and ask if I'm a bigshot executive with an appointment?

Quite likely the latter.  Red Hat has gone very corporate, and HQ is
nothing but a cube farm.  You'd have to sign an NDA just to see the
server room (and once you've seen one, you've seen 'em all).  I speak as
someone who worked there for two years and things were already going
away from the "goodness and wonder" when I got there.  I did not post
this reply to the list as some see my views as bitter rants rather than
a representation of reality.  I leave it as an exercise to the reader :)

As I look at the blog mentioned in your signature, it occurs to me that
I have seen you at the last two Ohio LinuxFests.  I'm looking forward to
going again this year for the 5th anniversary celebration.  Should be
quite a blast!

--
- Kevin
http://www.nivex.net/