[TriLUG] [Trilug-announce] TriLUG-ontopic

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:42:14 EDT 2007

I removed trilug-announce from the distribution list since this is
discussion and no longer announcement.

On 8/18/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> 1. Even though ontopic@ is un-moderated...
> ...should we
> anticipate being more assertive about keeping offtopic
> material off that list, than we would for the current list?

Yes.  The trilug-ontopic list will be policed more rigorously, but the
first line of defense will be the other list members.  The SC will
step in upon request or when an offtopic thread becomes volatile and
erupts into flamage and no list members are doing anything about it.

> 2. Does this have any impact on what is considered on/off
> topic for the current trilug@ list?

>From a policy perspective, this has no impact on what is considered
on/off-topic for trilug at .  It simply gives members the choice to
subscribe to a list that is necessarily on-topic and to no-mail
trilug@ when threads go haywire, while not missing some technical
discussion.  There is the downside, however, that some technical
threads won't make it to both lists.  While members may try to solve
this problem by cross-posting, I encourage members to use their
discretion and to follow the same guidelines as with any other set of
mailing lists.

MPF