[TriLUG] need suggestion on webcam

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:39:10 EDT 2008

I'm looking for a decent webcam that meets the following requirements:

works on mandriva 2008 (2.6.22 kernel)
something I can buy at a local store (no mail order - Raleigh area)
something that is better than 160x120 resolution (800x600 ideally).

I've gone through Creative Live! Cam Video IM Pro, some version of a
Logitech Quickcam Pro, and some Phillips notebook version (again, can't
remember the version).  Phillips and Logitech 'worked' with the gspca
driver, but only in *near* monochrome and 160x120, and slow.

Here's an example of the logitech camera running on linux (with the gscpa
drivers)  (sorry - you'll need to watch me being boring in front of the
camera):
http://michaelkimsal.com/video/playback.php/b4eoi0o49udjy5ei

Now here's the same camera plugged in to a windows box
http://michaelkimsal.com/video/playback.php/379akrb49uiggvys

The issue is all in the driver support, and I need a recommendation on
something that *works* (as well as the Windows video quality) under Linux.
If it's only ever going to look as good as the first URL, I'll just give up
now.  If someone can point me to a currently available webcam I can buy at
the store, and tell me what driver(s) to use, I'll be very grateful.  Heck,
I'll buy you a drink if you're in town, or make a small donation to your
favorite charity.  Your pick.

Thanks.

--
Michael Kimsal