[TriLUG] OT: GPS units

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Fri Apr 25 19:09:18 EDT 2008

Most of the Garmin GPSMAP series have serial and USB interfaces.  I
have a GPSMAP 76CSx and an Edge 305 and am happy with both.

If you plan on using one on a bike, get one made for it, do not get a
bike mount for a GPS the has removable batteries.

In the past I found some Linux software that would convert a lot of
the Garmin USB only GPS units to a NUMA stream so that Linux programs
that expect a serial interface would work.  Sorry I do not remember
the name of the project.

-Charles Fischer