[TriLUG] Vista

Jim Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Thu Jul 10 16:53:04 EDT 2008

That's one reason I love working at NCSU Libraries- they let me order my
own computer and install my own OS.  A few of us are running Ubuntu, one
is running FreeBSD, and one is running (horror) Solaris 8.  A lot of us
are running OSX with the majority on Windows XP.

That's now one of my questions when I interview- what's your desktop OS
policy?  I want root.

Jim

> Hi Ron,
>
>   What is wrong with GNU Cash? Does it not run on Windows? Is it just too
> different? Or are some features missing? AFAIK it is the only FOSS contender
> against QuickBooks (not quicken or money). I've only done a little with GNU
> Cash and not any heavy business accounting so I haven't explored its
> features. Not sure if it is good at managing thousands of customer accounts
> for instance. ???
>
>   BTW, employees at this major telco are welcomed to use Linux as their
> primary desktop. Most have both XP and Linux side-by-side although outlook
> is available as a web page so one could dump XP if desired. The big issue
> here is all the IT-ware on the Windows box. E.g. this week some brainiac in
> network mgt decided no Flash player on the Windows box-- odd since several
> apps and new dev are using flash.
>
> Tim

---Jim Tuttle